Sunday, May 27, 2012

Oops, I forgot!

Today I journeyed from Munich to Salzburg to many sights near Berchtesgaden and back to Salzburg. It was a day of a lot of difficult public transit transfers to say the least!

My big news is that I may have a visitor coming from East Lansing...evidently Dad has been reading the blog and thinks it looks fun! After getting this news tonight, I have spent about 4 hours trying to get everything planned out. Plus, I actually have a good wifi connection...and I really have no clue when I will next find another (with Slovenia and Croatia up in a day). So, yes, I kind of forgot to write about today. Here is a breeze through:

Salzburg is one of the music capitals of the world, but catching music is expensive. My guide said the best bet for fantastic free music was Mass at the Cathedral. The Cathedral is also Mozart's former Cathedral, and he also headed the music there. So I left Munich at 7:00 only to arrive at the Cathedral for 10:00 Mass to find a massive youth festival. While it is good to see they have such things, the music was horrendous. It was like bad German praise and worship music. I was very disappointed, and even more so when after an hour of Mass, we still had not reached the creed. Not only was the music distastefully poor in hope it was done, but there was also so much of it that it completely overtook any semblance of a Mass. Oh well...I decided just to continue with the day.

From Mass I headed up to Berchtesgaden, where I eventually made my was to Hitler's former mountain top hideaway, the so called "Eagles Nest". The thing is basically a massive chalet on top of a sheer cliff and mountain. To get there required a bus ride zig zagging up the side of this cliff on a narrow one way road. From there, the rest of the journey was made in Hitler's personal elevator that runs through the middle of the mountain. Although the top is rather limited I what you can see, it is a great view!

Beneath it all are miles and miles of interconnected Nazi compounds burrowed deep within the mountain. These might have been the most interesting thing I saw today. It is incredibly vast in its nature, designed as a place where Hitler and his followers could function during the Allied advance.

Getting to these sights was a huge debacle due to a bus station being closed. It is a fantastic story, but you will have to ask me when I am back home! Too late now to start typing it all!

Next I headed to the postcard like Konigsee. This beautiful alpine lake is surrounded by cliffs and glowing green pine forests. My goal was to make it to the famous red domed Church of St. Bartholoma, but the boats headed that direction were sold out. Instead, I caught lunch and ice cream by the lake!

And so it was back to beautiful Salzburg. It seems like a great little town, with the rushing river and nice views of the Alps. I meandered along the banks of the Salzach to my hotel, where as I said, I have spent my night planning away!

Tomorrow is the Sound of Music Tour followed by heading to Hallstatt, which should be FANTASTIC! I know some of you reading this did the Sound of Music tour, and so i followed your recommendation with the same. As for Hallstatt, only way to reach town is via a little tiny boat, so I have no doubt the day will be interesting!

Goodnight and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment