Another fantastic day! However, I didn't type on the trains, and as a result, this is going to be short!
Staying in Haarlem was a fantastic way to do Amsterdam. This morning I toured the cathedral, with the grandest of all Dutch organs. The cathedral was also decorated with models of hanging wooden ships, cannonballs, and other unique things.
From there it was off to Keukenhof, which was spectacular! Even though it is right at the end of the season, it was still magnificent. It was actually a lot like Disneyworld for flowers--park layout, hysteria, etc. While many of the tulips had gone, there were still gardens upon gardens of flowers, including the worlds biggest Lilly exhibition. Just exceptional--and I would love to revisit...more during the peak. Even so, I feel very lucky to have been here in the short time window that the park is open!
From there it was off to Maastricht. The Dutch have some kind of holiday going on in Maastricht, so the place was a zoo! The main square had a carnival, there was clearly some kind of major gathering outside of the town hall, and there were people everywhere! I wasn't able to go to the mines because of the holiday or whatever was going on. However, Maastricht was a nice place. It really caters to tourists, with the main pedestrian areas being like a massive mall. Quite commercialized, but still in a pretty, old town.
Tonight I am back in Germany-- in Aachen. Tomorrow is Koln and Frankfort, with Wurzburg and Nuremberg on deck! (Sorry about the lack of correct umlauts...there is no way to do it in this app). Starting Monday is the Romantic Road!
There is the quick version! Hope you have a great weekend.






No comments:
Post a Comment