Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Greetings from Ljubljana!

Unexpected pleasures are always the best!

My day began in Hallstatt, and while there more tourists today, it was still "out of this world" with charm. I chose to sleep in and forego a mine tour, instead preparing for my trips into lesser known lands: Slovenia and Croatia. For the first time since the start of the trip, I am carrying a sizable number of snacks. I did check out one of the most interesting things I have seen my entire trip--Hallstatt's Bone Chapel. The name describes it exactly as it is; a chapel FULL of human bones.

Early in the afternoon I started my journey to Ljubljana, not knowing what to expect. It was a journey with 5 quick train connections, and I needed everything to go right. Things went smoothly, and I was impressed by the beauty of the Slovenian countryside. Upon arrival in Ljubljana, I was a little nervous looking out the train window. Graffiti is everywhere, and the buildings look like something out of Gary, Indiana. However, upon stepping into the city, I felt completely safe. The city has rough edges, but is loaded inside with character and people taking pride in improving their city. After throwing down my bag, I headed out to the town center. As I strolled, I found myself wildly impressed. The town center was pedestrian only and absolutely bustling with locals. Clearly not overly touristy, cafes lined the streets, with their tables spilling out into the squares. Along the Ljubljanica River, more upscale restaurants were alive with patrons enjoying a nice dinner and riverside view. In the main town square a music festival was taking place, with people enjoying a band playing on the main stage with several street musicians also adding to the flavor. The city center also had some very impressive buildings, and it was clear that the city has been investing in the area. What an unexpected treat, a fantastic cultural experience, and a fun mid-sized capital city!

Had I judged this book by its cover, I would have really missed out. Rough edges, but this feels just as safe as Germany or Switzerland. What a little hidden gem!

Tomorrow I am out the door early headed for Plitvice Lakes National Park, in Croatia. This natural wonder of the world is the reason why I came through Ljubljana in the first place. While I only have 1 train tomorrow, I will instead have fun navigating the Croatian bus system...wish me luck!

If Plitvice is all it is cracked up to be, I should have some stupendous pictures tomorrow!

Finally, the rumors are true! I have a visitor coming over for the last week of the trip. It will be an absolute treat to spend my last week here with my Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment