The title basically sums up my day, which has led to more than one belly ache. MC would have loved today, both the health food and sights.
My day started in Bruges, which really surprised me with its beauty, charm, and history. Bruges basically caters to tourists, and it does an excellent job at it. The cleanliness and safe areas really added to the romantic setting. I kind of took my time this morning, opting to sleep in a bit. As I left my hotel and headed to the old town, I immediately was impressed by the architecture. With the canals, it was easy to see how this was once the equivalent of Venice, before power changed and the harbor silted up. Having not eaten breakfast, I figured I would start the day right--with a bag of Belgian chocolates. As I continued to walk (still hungry) I picked up a Belgian waffle smothered in chocolate. I arrived in the over the top Gothic town square, and promptly made the scarily steep climb up the town hall spire. To congratulate myself, I picked up some Belgian fries at the bottom. As you can see, I was off to a great start!
I then stopped by the Basilica of the Holy Blood, which supposedly holds a vile of the blood of Christ. Tomorrow they are having a massive procession to celebrate the ascension (with the blood), and the town was clearly preparing for hoards of people. Whether you think it is the real deal or some ancient ketchup, tomorrow is going to be a crazy day in Bruges.
After the Basilica, I continued my Rick Steve's guided tour with a half hour boat ride through the charming canals. Before I hopped on, I snagged another bag of Belgian chocolates to munch on. Following the canal cruise, I made a beeline for the Groeninge Museum. This is up there with the top art museums of Europe, basically because of the art acquired during Bruges previous time of phenomenal wealth.
I have a real appreciation for checking out masterpieces, and this was no exception. From here, I proceeded to the Memling Museum--another top notch collection. Both were fantastic, with some of the most notable works showcasing the advent of oil painting and jaw dropping 3D effects.
My final major stop in Bruges was The Church of our Lady, which is home to a Michelangelo Pieta. This is his only sculpture to leave Italy during his lifetime, showing the one-time importance of Bruges.
After touring the church, I again was hungry and thirsty. This time, it was a strawberry and whipped cream topped waffle, and a trip to the world famous De Halve brewery. English tour and free drink later, I was ready to head to Brussels.
Because of how much I enjoyed Bruges, I was a bit delayed in getting to Brussels. So, I decided to go on a quick walking tour and to get a hearty Belgian dinner. I started by taking in St. Steven's cathedral; home to many royal and historic events.
I have been trying to eat one nice, authentic meal each day. However, yesterday I missed dinner, and so I splurged a bit today. I went for over two pounds of the world famous Brussels mussels and more fries, all at a restaurant right on the world renowned Grand Place. One of the top public squares in the world, this Catholic inspired über-Gothic area was decked out in full ornamentation. Feeling full and fishy, I waddled off to find the biggest little sight in Brussels, Manneken Pis. Yep, this little squirt is basically the mascot of the city and has a blockade of tourists around it similar to the likes of the Mona Lisa. Like the energizer bunny, he keeps going and going and going. What a cute chubby baby, in a twisted way!
One sight I couldn't make it to that I want to check out in the future are Flanders Fields. This area was an absolute bloodbath during WWI, and one million soldiers died here. However, it is only accessible by car or expensive tour, so it is going on the shelf for next time.
I am now train bound towards Haarlem, just outside Amsterdam. Remember that NYC was once New Amsterdam, and our Harlem is named after the once super wealthy Haarlem. Clear as mud? Staying in Haarlem is the cheap way to do Amsterdam, like staying in Brooklyn, Queens, or Newark when visiting NYC. Tomorrow is Amsterdam and Friday is Haarlem and Keukenhof-- the the top tulip festival and gardens to be found.
It is with a full belly that I say thanks for reading! Have a wonderful rest of your day!






No comments:
Post a Comment