Whew! What a day. I managed to spend time in four countries today, which I think has to be a first for me. I started in Luzern, traveled to Vaduz, Liechtenstein for lunch, went back through Switzerland, into Kiel, Germany, and over to Strasbourg, France! I knew it was going to be a rainy day for most of the region, which is why I added in the Liechtenstein stop and the extra train time.
I hated to say goodbye to Mom and Andrew this morning. It was such a treat to travel with them and to show Andrew Europe for the first time. I am missing them bunches already!
Vaduz was bland, but I had a nice, challenging hike up to Vaduz Castle. For the home of a ruling Monarch, it looked very cool. I was shocked, there was not another soul to be found nor any semblance of security.
I have really enjoyed Strasbourg. In many ways, it is quite similar to Luzern, with the picture perfect buildings and a river prominently dividing up the town. The architecture throughout the old town in fantastic, and the Cathedral is an absolute behemoth towering over everything else (tallest in France). I had one of the best meals I have have had on the entire trip in the famous "La Petite France" quarter of town. All local specialties, I devoured a scrumptious ham and onion type bread, a heaping plate of meats and sauerkraut, and creme brûlée to top it off. The quality, quantity, and price could not be beaten. This was my day to get to know my Alsace heritage, from the King (Sebastian) side of the family. I finished the night at the annual "Night of the Cathedral", where there was a massive showcase of the arts: visual, musical, and dance. I enjoyed it all, but left early to try to get a bit more rest tonight...so I thought.
Upon my return to my hotel, I found a mouse feasting inside my pack on all of my food. You can ask anyone in my family how i feel about mice--mice and i don't coexist well. Long story short, the food and the mouse are gone, paranoia over, I have a new room, and the bag is repacked. I am hoping that is the last issue until I get out of Strasbourg...as there were some unmentioned other issues today as well!
Overall, I would recommend Strasbourg for maybe a day trip. The things mentioned above were fantastic, but not worth spending a bunch of time here...especially when fending off mice.
Sung Mass at the Cathedral in the morning, before heading to Heidelberg and the banks of the Rhine! Now off to sleep...hopefully without the mouse :)





No comments:
Post a Comment