Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gimmelwald

We arrived today in Gimmelwald, by way of the Golden Pass panoramic railway. It is an incredible village of only about 120 people, with a larger population of cows and no cars. The village sits on the edge of a cliff at about a mile high, with the valley below at 2,000 feet. Above, we are surrounded by the alps going up to almost 14,000 feet. Sheer cliffs are all around, and in order to go anywhere we hike or are whisked away via cable car. It has been quite overcast this far, so we haven't yet seen the mountain tops above the cliffs. This has to be one of the most interesting places I have ever seen, as you can effectively see from 2,000 ft to 14,000 ft.

Gimmelwald is Grand Canyon grandiose without the piles of tourists and with an Alps feel. Really a remarkable place. Now I see why they say "if heaven is not what it is cracked up to be, send me back to Gimmelwald."

We are in a mountain chalet with a garden, terrace, and stunning views of the surrounding cliffs (pictured).

I am super tired, so I am off to crash! More tomorrow hopefully-- the Internet is super spotty up here...

No comments:

Post a Comment