Today had to be one of the calmest days of my trip, which is fine by me!
I spent the morning seeing more of Rothenburg, and while it is beautiful, I was very tired of how touristy it was. So I rolled off to Fussen, a small Bavarian town at the base of the Alps on the Austria border and only 3 miles from "Mad" King Ludwig's castles. These castles (one in particular) were the ones that inspired Walt Disney and are hence often referred to as the Disney castles.
Upon arriving in Fussen, I tossed my bag in my room and took a walking tour of the city. I really enjoy these smaller towns, although even this is a little overly touristy for me.
I then spent my evening relaxing the the King's old bathing grounds, now a series of pools of all kinds, hot tubs, steam rooms and saunas. After lugging my back around for the past 4 weeks and logging too many miles to count, this felt great on my body.
I finished the evening with a nice 3 mile hike along the base of the Alps. You probably remember how much I love these alpine scenes, with wildflower filled pastures, picturesque chalets, and cute farms--all with the backdrop of alpine cliffs. It is really tempting me to go back to Gimmelwald for the last day or two of the trip to get in a few more great hikes...
Tomorrow I have tickets to tour the castles, and I think I will hike for the rest of the day. There are endless miles of alpine hiking with great scenery. My hotelier is letting me out of the last night of my reservation, which means I can relocate to Munich and Salzburg sooner (again because I have no urge to bike the Romantic Road).
I ended the day in the usual way; with gelato (eis, ice cream, etc). Before that I had a dinner of fantastic Pike from the Lech--prepared as it was for King Ludwig!
The bad news: I have no Internet. I have no idea when I will find a connection to post this or respond to anything. Fortunately, my planning for tomorrow is done, and I don't have a need to fulfill my nightly ritual of pulling up train schedules!
Go Green!



No comments:
Post a Comment