I spent my day today in Amsterdam, and I won't lie, it wasn't my favorite. However, being a "glass half full" kind of guy, here are the positives from the day:
The museums I saw were some of the tops in the world. More specifically, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum were spectacular. You probably know quite a bit about the latter, and the Rijksmuseum is filled with all the top art from the Dutch Golden Age (when this was the most wealthy and powerful country in the world due to trading...including the slave trade). The museum was filled with jaw dropping masterpieces by the likes of Rembrandt, Hals, Vermeer, and Steen. I probably enjoyed this more than the Van Gogh, simply because I didn't know just how impressive it would be. The Van Gogh museum was full of the title artists work, as well as work by Monet, Rodin, Gauguin, Pissarro, Toulouse-Lautrec, Cezanne, and others. It is unbelievable to have so many masterworks at your fingertips. I also toured the Amsterdam Museum, but that was somewhat disappointing.
The Anne Frank House and museum were also very well done. It has been very well preserved, and you can go through their tiny apartment. There were English explanations the whole way containing a substantial amount of information.
Another highlight was again accidentally catching Mass, again with music. A schola of about 6 sang four part polyphony and chant throughout the Mass. There were half descent (high praise from a musician) other than a soprano with ridiculously shallow tone. Better yet was that the Mass was in one of Amsterdam's hidden, underground churches from when Catholicism was outlawed. The name of the church was De Papegaai; looking like a nondescript facade on the street but opening up to an interior like a small cathedral.
Other highlights includes walking all over the city; from Dam Square to Jordaan to Vondelpark to Museumplein and of course, the red light district. This evening, I finished with a nice canal cruise, because after all, this is "Venice of the North".
There was the good. I don't want to dwell on the bad, but here are the big things:
People everywhere, like Venice. Literally wall to wall tourists everywhere (museums included). You could not move at times. Smoke everywhere. I am not sure I have ever inhaled more second hand smoke (and since it is Amsterdam, I am not just talking cigarettes). A lack of safety (in Red light district especially many other areas as well). This city is full of every kind of lowlife: thieves, drug dealers, prostitutes, scam artists, etc-- you name it, they are here. Furthermore, they all want one thing...your money. There were very few times today when I thought "hmm, I feel very safe!" Lastly, rude people. Lots of them.
That aside, I am really excited for tomorrow! I am really looking forward to Keukenhof with its windmills and world famous flowers, but I will also check out Haarlem as well. In the evening it is back to Germany (Aachen), with maybe a stop in Maastrict.
That is all for now! I have only two photos to put up from today, as almost the whole day I either didn't feel safe getting out the iPad or I was somewhere where taking photos was prohibited. Many more on my camera however when I get home!


No comments:
Post a Comment