Monday, June 11, 2012

The wrap up!

45 days, 15 countries, hundreds of places, thousands of sights, and memories that will last a lifetime.

What a trip. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity and to have had everything go so well. I encountered no major issues, injuries, sickness, safety mishaps, etc--all of which I am very grateful for. Furthermore, mom, dad, and Andrew all had great trips as well. Now here is something a little fun... A few lists that I came up with!

Things I Will Miss:
5. Train travel
4. Using and improving my languages, particularly German
3. Meeting and interacting with people from around the world every day
2. The Food: Gelato, wurst, doner kebabs, good sauerkraut, salads, schnitzel, apfel strudel, italian pizza and pasta, chocolate (Belgian then German and Swiss), chocolate croissants, German pretzels, beer, wine, and so much more
1. Having the opportunity to craft a new and unlimited adventure each day. Exploring new places from sun up through late at night. Seeing more than I ever imagined, moving at a pace that I will probably never again match.

Things I Will Not Miss:
5. Inconsistent Internet and not knowing when I am going to be able to pull up my next round of train schedules, etc.
4. Money belts. Two of them.
3. Cold cuts, cheese, and dry rolls for breakfast
2. The smoking culture. There is smoke just about everywhere.
1. Pay toilets. Enough said.

Things I Thought I Would Miss, but Don't:
5. My phone, TV, and computer
4. My car and driving
3. American news and politics. I am usually very informed, and I have completely tuned out...which has been surprisingly refreshing!
2. American sports...same premise as above.
1. Clean clothes. I have about 2.5 outfits and haven't done any laundry since Geneva...over 5 weeks ago. Believe it or not, I survived.

Things I am Indifferent About:

5. Foreign currencies (I used 6)
4. The European way of keeping time.
3. Carrying my pack. I have kind of become used to it.
2. Tiny hotel rooms...and I have been in some real closets.
1. The time change.

Things I am Eager to Get Back to:
5. A workout consisting of something other than hauling around a 50-65lb pack.
4. Bacon, eggs, frosted flakes, Michigan fruits, oatmeal, and anything else associated with a good ole American breakfast
3. A steaming hot tub in the back yard and my own bed
2. Pure Michigan. Again, enough said.
1. Spending time with family and friends, new and old. I can't wait to enjoy the summer with family and friends.

For those of you who have stuck with this, all I can say is--Wow! I am very impressed. Thank you for your emails and messages! Like I said, I can't wait to see you all.

From Zurich, good night. I am looking forward to seeing East Lansing late tomorrow night!

Have a wonderful tomorrow! Signing off,

-David


No comments:

Post a Comment