Our first day with the Fink's went about as well as it could! We had a great time and our hosts treated us like kings. Furthermore, my German was more than sufficient to navigate everything, have good communication, and to serve as a translator for dad. The Finks are distant cousins, and they speak no English. I told dad that this may be the one and only time in my life when I am a 100% translator between to groups of people who understand none of the others language. It was a lot of fun for me, but it also kept me on my toes all day.
We started by touring the town of Weimar. Once again, it was a great reminder of why I love getting to these small towns. Dad really noticed it as well and enjoyed it. Weimar was full of picturesque squares lines with cafes and shops and with few tourists--which I love.
Next was over to Buchenwald Concentration Camp. For dad, a camp was the one thing he told me he really wanted to see on this trip. Buchenwald had some very interesting exhibitions, and like the other camps I have seen was again mind boggling with its sheer size. Another thing that stood out were the preserved execution rooms where the Nazis barbarically killed thousands. I bought dad the audio guide, which really helped him get the most out of it. We spent a few hours there and also visited the memorials. It was another chilling and sickening experience, but certainly something we must remember.
From there it was off to Erfurt. Erfurt is high on charm and on quaintness, partially due to very little damage during WWII. It worked well for dad and I, as my guidebook has a chapter on Erfurt. We more or less saw all of the sights the book recommended, and it gave dad a great insight into the town. This was exceptionally beautiful in a similar way to Weimar, but a bit bigger. The place was again full of life, and it was great to take it in on a beautiful day. We had a fantastic Thuringer lunch full of traditional regional specialties and the scrumptious in season asparagus. All trip long, dad has been shocked and raving about how good the food is. In trying to show dad the best of Europe and knowing his tastes, I am intentionally feeding dad lots of new foods that I know he will like. The easiest way to make him happy has to be to keep his belly full, right? He also got his now daily gelato...
Tonight we headed to Stadtallendorf to the Fink's home. The smallest of the three towns we have been in today, Stadtallendorf housed what I guess was the biggest munitions factory in the world during WWII. It was concealed in bunkers and not found by the allies until capture from what I understood. The Fink's have a very nice home, and were again incredibly hospitable to us welcoming us. We are staying in a B&B right down the road, and we are in the exact room that Fred and Marie stayed in (according to Alfred). Alfred and Carola both grew up here, and they are very proud of their city. This too goes in the category of least touristy places I have been on the trip, and I love getting the glimpse of real life for the average person.
We were able to enjoy a real treat tonight in being present for Germany's first EuroCup match. The way the country shuts down, prepares, and celebrates is something I can only compare to the Super Bowl. The streets empty and then flood with honking cars after a victory. Keep in mind, this is an entire country we are talking about. We watched the game with Alfred and Carola and cheered on the Germans to an exciting victory! Naturally, we washed it down with a tasty dinner and German refreshments.
Tomorrow we are onward and upward. I don't have the plan finalized, but I know we are going back to one of my favorite areas: The Rhine. When dad decided to come, I had to cut out my last few days of creativity and instead pick some places to keep us nearby for our flight home. So, back to the Rhine to spend our last bit of the trip, which is perfectly fine with me!
Enjoy the weekend! Last but not least: HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA FRED!!! And also, happy 50th wedding anniversary Jim and Judy!





No comments:
Post a Comment