Like I have started started so many other posts, today was another delightful day! We really enjoyed our time in Stadtallendorf with the Finks. I have been the beneficiary of incredible hospitality from the Finks and the Westricks.
I have reported how much dad is enjoying the German food. I can also say that he enjoys German breakfasts, with dried meats, cheeses, and hard bread. Once again, if he is happy, then I am happy. We attended Mass with the Finks and afterwards got a full tour of Stadtallendorf. One of the interesting things was the memorial to the people of the town lost during the world wars. The names included many we are familiar with: Feldpausch, Huhn, Schneider, Schafer, and multiple Theis' listed. After another scrumptious German meal, we met both of the Finks grown children and their significant others. We visited both of their nearby homes, including their son Constantine who is remodeling Alfred's childhood home for his residence. Another very interesting thing that we were able to see were the remnants of Stadtallendorf's huge munitions factory from WWII. This was evidently the biggest munitions factory in all of Europe, camouflaged in bunkers with trees and such growing on the roofs. A good chunk of the town is still covered by the factory buildings, and only a fraction survive. Along with the factory came workers--in the form of slave labor. Stadtallendorf was home to a satellite concentration camp under the Buchenwald umbrella. It was very interesting to see this, as at each of the camps I have visited, I have heard and learned a great deal about the satellite camps. Alfred and Carola also showed us other historic places such as where a number of German generals lived. It was really fun to spend time in a small town and see what life is like in this kind of community. The Finks seem to be like Grandma and Grandpa are in Westphalia; they know everybody and everything about Stadtallendorf. They are very proud of their town.
As I mentioned yesterday, for the most part, the communication went as well as I could have asked for. Holding a conversation in German for 20 minutes is one thing. Having an ongoing two day discussion is a completely different ball game, plus add in that I was acting as translator for dad. I quite glad to say that I am at the point where my brain is simultaneously thinking in both languages. I have accidentally responded to some of dad's questions tonight in German or with some German mixed in with my answer. Oops! Overall though, it was another once in a lifetime experience using my German in this capacity.
I will add, the Finks kept saying that Fred and Marie should visit again...or that I should come back on my honeymoon (no intentions or plans in my foreseeable future in case you were wondering).
From Stadtallendorf we headed to Frankfurt, because that is essentially where all trains head. Since we were there, I figured I had to get dad some of the Apfelwein. Dad was in Frankfurt in 1979, and he is still talking about the Apfelwein. We did the walking tour first (something I couldn't do during my very brief visit to Frankfurt a few weeks back due to the mammoth protests). Frankfurt probably has more contrast than any other city I have been to, perhaps worldwide. Banks next to drug districts next to the gorgeous town square next to a huge shopping center next to residential areas next to the famous Apfelwein houses. It is really pretty interesting. Instead of stay in Frankfurt, I have brought dad to one of my favorites in nearby Bacharach.
When dad decided to come over, he expressed interest in seeing the Rhein, and given the close proximity and my affinity for the region, it all worked out well! Already this evening, dad has gained a full grasp for why I love this place. We did a quick walk through the beautiful and historic town up to the hills overlooking the Rhine and vineyard covered hills. Picturesque, romantic, historic, quaint, charming, cheap, and tourist free on a Sunday night! Unfortunately, the iPad spent much of the day in the pack, so I don't have many photos to put up today.
Tomorrow we will hike a bit, do a Rhine cruise, and head to Freiburg. I have talked with numerous Germans who have said Freiburg is their favorite town in Germany. My Rick Steve's book also has a chapter on Freiburg complete with walking tour, so I figured we would check it out! I am always up for exploring a new place, and it is perectly in the train line to the Zurich Airport (where we head tomorrow night).
I can't believe that we only have one more day! It is incredible how time flies when you are having fun. Believe it or not, while I do miss family and friends terribly, I really can't say I have been homesick at all on the trip. As documented, if it weren't for seeing much missed friends and having the annual Pokagon bash this coming week, I would be continuing to the likes of Scandinavia and Spain. Had dad not come, I was going to toss in a high octane trip to Mont St. Michaels in France. I guess now I have a list started for next time...whenever that may be!
Have a great start to your week! I am looking forward to seeing many of you soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment